During the last 50 years - the period elapsing since our centennial observance - fraternal organizations of 1923 have all but disappeared from St. Marys.
The Masonic orders, Eagles lodge and Knights of Columbus continue to flourish. The other fraternal organizations no longer hold meetings here although some local residents continue their affiliation with them in nearby communities.
Classified service clubs - Rotary and Kiwanis for men and Soroptimist for women have been established here and to serve the community in many ways.
In addition to these three classified service clubs, the community also has Beta Sigma Phi chapters. The Venture Club sponsored by Soroptimist for young business women, a chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, for outstanding teachers, the Mother's Study Club, Progress Club and Shakespeare Club for women interested in cultural growth, the St. Marys Music Club for men and women interested in music, the Drama club for women interested in the study and performance of the drama, and recently a chapter of the American Association of University Women.
4-H Clubs, Boy and Girl Scout troops are sponsored for the young people in the community.
The Western Ohio Fish and Game Association is composed of sportsmen interested in the propagation of game and fish and in the promotion of trapshoots and hunting safety.
Izaak Walton League chapter was formed here two years ago to protect the environment and to encourage the promotion of activities for protection of the environment.
Patriotic organizations take an active part in community life-the Woman's Relief Corps established an auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic meets regularly at the Armory in the room reserved for patriotic organizations- the St Marys Post 323 American Legion and the American' Legion Auxiliary meet regularly at their Post Home on highway 703 west of St. Marys, the Robert Lee Griner Post 9289 V.F.W. and Ladies Auxiliary meet regularly in the Post Home on U.S. Highway 33 in East St. Marys.
Newspaper and News
The Evening Leader, St. Marys daily newspaper, was established here in 1902 as a result of the merger of two publications, the Daily News and the Graphics John L. Sullivan and Charles L. Hunter joined forces then to organize the Leader Printing Company, formally incorporated in 1905. Mr. Hunter became the business manager and John L. Sullivan the editor of The Evening Leader.
In 1907, Mr. Sullivan sold his interest to Mr. Hunter who continued publication of The Evening Leader until 1914 when he was appointed as St. Marys postmaster. W. A. Moxley, who formerly had edited The Evening Herald here, then became editor. He was succeeded by John W. Fisher. In February 1916, John L. Sullivan returned to St. Marys from Columbus where he served as state printer to become editor and manager of The Evening Leader, a position he continued to hold until 1926. At that time the present Leader Printing Company bought the interests of Mr. Sullivan and others in The Leader Printing Company.
A. C. Buss was named treasurer and general manager, John Whitney, business manager and Thomas E. Wilson, editor, and continued in office until 1927. A. C. Buss, one of the major stockholders of the company former editor of the New Bremen Sun and the St. Marys Graphic, a weekly, and the general manager of the Creamery Patron Printing Company in St. Marys, became general manager and editor of The Evening Leader in 1927, a position he continued to hold until his death in 1944.
In 1944 The Leader Printing Company directors elected H. W. Buss, treasurer and general manager and H. M. Blair, secretary and business manager Kathryn C. Geiger was named editor. They continue to serve in these capacities Officers of the company today include H. W. Buss, president and chairman of the board, H. M. Blair, vice president and treasurer; Brice H. Blair, secretary.
In 1969 The Evening Leader made many improvements including converting to offset printing, installed a modern offset press capable of turning out a 2Wpage issue in a single run to replace the flat-bed eight-page press, and has enlarged its editorial and advertising staffs to better serve the community. United Press International provides state, national and international news coverage.
The community is also served by metropolitan newspapers.
Radio station WCSM, located in Celina, has a branch studio here. The community is served too by stations WMER, Celina and WERM, Moulton, all three stations carrying news items from the community.