Churches Established Early
Wayne Street United Methodist Church had its beginning here in 1824, just one year after St. Marys was incorporated. Circuit ministers came in early to hold services at periodic intervals. Historians report that the Catholic priests came here from Piqua and other points to hold mass in private homes and in the early hotels serving the area, although establishment of a parish came later.
Today there are Christian churches of many denominations serving our people .
The churches, the date of their establishment and their present pastors follow:
- Wayne Street United Methodist, 1824, Rev. Richard P. Coad, D.D.
Edueational buildings or parish halls have been added by Zion Lutheran, St. Paul's United Chureh of Christ, and Wayne Street United Methodist churches. The Nazarene Church has converted its original church into a Sunday School annex to its new ehureh.
Zion Lutheran Chureh has started construction of a new half-million dollar Church edifice immediately north of the Church which has served the Congregation Since 1908.
The United Methodist Chureh of this district has a church camp, Camp St. Marys, on state highway 364, southeast corner of Lake St. Marys established there 25 years ago, in 1947, by the Ohio-Sandusky Conference of the United Brethren Church, now merged with the Methodist Church in the United Methodist .
The Church of the Nazarene for this district has a church camp, the Nazarene Center on the north shore of Lake St. Marys west of St. Marys.
Both of these church camps have large tabernacles and serve many people throughout the summer. Camp St. Marys is rented too by other denominations for special retreats and conferences throughout the year.